Connecting food and climate for people, nature and our planet
Reshaping urban-rural linkages for more resilient food value chains
Making healthy food accessible and affordable to all - both in and around cities
CityFood is a flagship program of ICLEI that aims to accelerate local and regional government action toward sustainable food systems transformation. It spans a number of projects and initiatives across all of ICLEI’s Regional Offices and brings together local and regional governments as well as critical global and regional partners. Our clear mandate is leveraging the power of food for resilient futures.
CityFood brings together urban food experts from across the globe to support cities in their transition towards sustainable food systems. From food procurement to fresh food markets and waste, CityFood helps address the most pressing food challenges cities are facing. Be part of the CityFood program!
Resilient urban food systems create healthy, happy and sustainable communities in our cities. Cities are at a critical crossroad to put food systems on their agenda and take the lead on sustainable food systems. Cities of the world should make the right to food a basic priority.
Tunç Soyer, Mayor of Izmir
The CityFood recipe
- 3 cups of fair and equitable citizen and stakeholder engagement
- 2 tablespoons of healthy and nutritious diets
- 1 teaspoon of integrated, multi-level governance
- 4 ounces of low carbon, nature positive production and consumption practices
- ¼ gallon of circular food initiatives
- 1 pinch of resilient urban-rural linkages
- … and a splash of peer-to-peer learning and knowledge sharing!