ICLEI @COP28: Cities Leading the Way on Sustainable Food and Climate
Women’s Pavilion Majilis, Green Zone, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
How are cities transforming food systems and driving climate action?
ICLEI, together with the COP28 Presidency, C40 and the High Level Climate Champions, will seek to answer this question during a dedicated event at COP28 in Dubai, taking place on 6 December. Here's all you need to know.
Our current food system is in crisis, demanding immediate action. The transformation of food systems requires a shift towards local and city-level initiatives integrated into national food strategies. However, progress by national governments has been sluggish in implementing these essential changes. Few Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) holistically address food systems with comprehensive value chain targets, including consumption and food waste.
In contrast, cities have emerged as leaders, demonstrating their commitment to addressing the global climate crisis through ambitious projects and policies. Their agile and adaptable structures enable them to pilot innovative models and solutions. Unfortunately, the broader adoption of these efforts often faces obstacles due to inaction from national and international authorities, hampering the efficacy of local initiatives. The urgency of reforming our broken food system necessitates collaborative action and a more substantial commitment from governments at all levels to create a sustainable and resilient future.
- Peter Defranceschi, Head of Global CityFood Programme, ICLEI
- Patty Fong, Program Director, Climate and Health & Wellbeing, Global Alliance for the Future of Food
- Emile Frison, Member and Founder, IPES-Food
- Joosep Vimm, Deputy Mayor of Tallinn, Estonia
- Nicola Kagoro/Chef Cola, Founder of 'African Vegan on a budget'
- Stientje van Veldhoven, Vice President and Regional Director for Europe, WRI
- Dr Josef Schmidhuber, Chief Sustainability Officer, Pure Harvest
- Stephen Ritz, Founder, Green Bronx Machine
- Manuel de Araújo, Mayor of Quelimane, Mozambique
- Fabricio Muriana, Co-Founder and Associate, Instituto Regenera
- Joao Campari, Global Leader, Food, WWF
- Erika Xananine Calvillo Ramirez, youth activist
Time: 10:00-11:30 GST
Women’s Pavilion Majilis, Green Zone, Expo City Dubai
Want to know more about ICLEI's other events at COP28? Please check out ICLEI's sessions at Expo City Farm!